All adoptions in Washington State require home studies as mandated by law. A home study provides a family with what they need to bring a child into their home as well as evaluates the fitness of the family.
Home studies are available for domestic, step parent, second parent or relative placement (when a relative of the child is adopting) types of adoption. Services are available in the Seattle-Tacoma and outlying communities.
The home study process consists of:
- Home study application form
- Submission of personal information, such as background checks, references, financial documents, medical reports, employment verification and autobiographical statement you create about your life history
- Series of four personal interviews
- 10 hours of parent preparation training classes
- Final summary and recommendation included in home study report